Friday, September 9, 2011

Gallery Wall how-to

Do you see images of fabulous framed gallery walls and think, "I would love to do that!" Gallery displays can definitely add a lot of interest to a big boring wall and they also are a great way to add your personality to a space. It can be intimidating thinking about hanging all of those frames. And if you are like me, the thought of putting a bunch of holes in your walls doesn't help. But with a good design plan and some handy Command strips, gallery displays can be a fun project that is well worth the effort.

The first step in planning your gallery is to decide on a style. IKEA has created a really nice slideshow that helps provide ideas on how to orient or situate your display.




You can group within a framework, kind of boxes within a larger box...

















Use ledges to create a flexible gallery that is easy to change out when the mood strikes...










Another idea is to create a collection of objects based on a common theme...









Once you settle on a design, it's time to get to work. I love to use IKEA frames because they are inexpensive and keep the project looking consistent without breaking the bank. You can also round up a variety of frames from a local thrift store and spray paint them for a uniform look.  If you have the time, you can cut newspaper pieces in the size of your frames and use masking tape to lay out your design on wall. I prefer to use the floor for laying out my designs. Once I settle on a plan, I snap a photo to refer back to while I'm working. And my single favorite item for hanging frames....Command hooks! They have a wonderful new product that is kind of like velcro and it lets you make those inevitable adjustments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment